Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Make Me a Show




(top- the first concert at The Spoon Theater. bottom- Mindy and Jackie enjoying an evening in their typical style.)

I was walking through the snow from Target to the mall. I'd done a little early Christmas shopping and was loaded down with packages. My phone rang. It was Jackie.

"Make me a show," she said.

"Excuse me?"

"I don't care what it is. Will you make me a show? I need you to make me a show."

Between the snow and the packages and the generally cryptic nature of this conversation, I was getting frustrated. So I ducked into the nearest door, which happened to be the women's department of the Macy's at the Queens Center Mall. I can still picture the gold boxes of Godiva chocolate wrapped with red ribbon and stacked neatly on tables. I stood and stared at them, packages at my feet, while Jackie told me her tale of woe. For the sake of privacy and people's feelings, I won't go into detail. But it involved an audition, a community theatre, and some questionable casting. She was not happy.

Once we got past this part of the story, I was finally able to understand what she wanted.

She wanted me to make her a show.

She wanted us to start a company that made casting decisions based on talent, and educational opportunities. A company that rewarded loyalty while allowing for new talent. A company where people could find a home, and make friends. But one that didn't cast people in inappropriate roles based on politics.

Of course, one does not just "make a show." We were incredibly naive about many things regarding theatre production, but we did at least know that much. So we started small. We put on a cabaret that January, while we were both on break from our respective colleges where we each served as adjuncts. I invited a few promising students to join us, and we sang for about thirty people at The Spoon Theater. (our first event held at this venue.)



I wish I could explain what was special about that night. Maybe some of the people who sang can help me by commenting below. But whatever else it was, it was fun. And the quality was strong. And we knew the plan. And it was just an overall pleasant day. And whatever else we knew, one thing was clear. This group needed to continue.

About a month later, Jackie and I met at Starbucks. (often referred to now as The MRC Annex Office.) We would become an official group. Eventually, anyway. We'd produce a show. We knew it would be "Godspell," and we knew I would direct, as we had discussed this dream many times before. We would choose actors who were on their way. Artists who had the training. And the drive. And the skills. Just maybe not the resume. (This was, after all, the opportunity I was being offered as a director, making my directorial debut.)

We needed a name. And we sat there for what felt like hours. I could not tell you a single idea that we tossed around, because they were all forgettable. Until we went back to the purpose of the group. Helping young artists stay motivated while building their resume. Helping more experienced artists keep their passion alive while focusing on other areas of their lives.

We wanted to help people maintain momentum. And once we used that word the first time, we couldn't imagine calling ourselves anything else.

And Momentum Repertory Company was born.

~Mindy Kay Smith, Artistic Director, Momentum Rep

No comments:

Post a Comment